Monday, December 10, 2007

Atonement- A Must See!!



Plot Summary:
In 1935, 13-year-old fledgling writer Briony Tallis and her family live a life of wealth and privilege in their enormous mansion. On the warmest day of the year, the country estate takes on an unsettling hothouse atmosphere, stoking Briony's vivid imagination. Robbie Turner, the educated son of the family's housekeeper, carries a torch for Briony's headstrong older sister Cecilia. Cecilia, he hopes, has comparable feelings; all it will take is one spark for this relationship to combust. When it does, Briony--who has a crush on Robbie--is compelled to interfere, going so far as accusing Robbie of a crime he did not commit. Cecilia and Robbie declare their love for each other, but he is arrested--and with Briony bearing false witness, the course of three lives is changed forever. Briony continues to seek forgiveness for her childhood misdeed. Through a terrible and courageous act of imagination, she finds the path to her uncertain atonement and to an understanding of the power of enduring love.
Plot:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I thoroughly enjoyed Atonement, but I have to admit that its really hard to be impartial having read/loved the novel. The story itself is so heart-wrenching and impactful...I really can't tell if I loved the movie OR if I'm just really moved by the story (and my memory of the book).

Overall, the film adaptation was very true to the book. There were some creative methods used to help learn about what was going on within Bryony's head (e.g. the interview at the end, which never happened in the book). I thought that was clever.

I'm really curious how I would have felt if I hadn't read the book. Because I was more curious to see how it would be adapted. So I had a lot of anticipation throughout the film...which kept me very excited. I dont know if all other moviegoers would be so engaged, ya know?

Overall, I think it was really well done. They captured a lot of elements about the characters that I thought might get lost in translation. Like the precociousness of Byriony as a child and the innocence of her mistake. Some of the war-time scenes were amazing, with Bryony working as a nurse and trying so fleetingly to atone for her mistake -- very moving. And the soundtrack was lovely (Debussy)...mind you I'm a little on the fence with the typewriter-style music throughout....a little heavy-handed and distracting.

Anonymous said...

It is a great story. But having not read the book, I enjoyed the movie. I was so drawn into the story. How can anyone not be -- it's so juicy, so rich, so powerful. The characters were really well-drawn. I actually liked Keira Knightley in this (the director gets the best performances out of her -- see what he did with her in Pride & Prejudice). She is very well-suited to upper-class characters. James McAvoy is very charismatic and sexy. And I think the actresses who played the child and teenage Brionys were BRILLIANT and both deserve supporting nods. Particularly the middle Briony. Her scenes were so powerful. I didn't think the film could sustain its power once it left the house and ventured into the war, but it did - because of her performance. She was amazing. And I loved how each Briony had similar traits not only in their mannerisms, but their looks. Genious casting. Definitely my favourite performances of the year besides Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men.


I think the music will be a major topic of discussion for the movie. The typewriter was a bit annoying, but very effective and powerful, and made several of the scenes intense.


This is definitely a film that has stayed in my head since I saw it in September. I still can recall scenes so vividly. And the steadicam shot of the war -- unbelievable.